Center for Maritime heritage and craftsmanship
All vessels mentioned here are heritage listed by the Norwegian Directorate of Cultural Heritage and are restored using historic restoration principles and guidelines.
On the night of July 19, 2004, S/Y MOHAWK II collided with a Dutch fishing boat. The crew of twenty had two minutes to evacuate before the ship sank. Fortuitously everyone was saved and no one was injured. Mohawk was built in Shoreham, England in 1904 and was on its 100th anniversary trip when she sank. Mohawk is built with teak on oak frames and deck in Oregon pine. The keel, stem, sternpost, much of the planking and frames, as well as the deck were replaced. In addition a lead keel of 23 tons was cast to replace the iron keel which had been fitted after the original was removed during the first world war. The increase in ballast allowed for a new and larger rig to be built.
RS 1 Colin Archer repaired following
a fire onboard
RS 1 Colin Archer was designed and built at Colin Archers yard in Rekkevik Larvik in 1893. Today, the vessel is owned by the Norwegian Maritime Museum and is managed by the Sailboat Club Colin Archer. By good fortune the extent of the fire was restricted but there was serious damage on board. Amongst other repairs most of the deck beams and deck were replaced. The whole boat has been refurbished and painted up again. In addition the bulwarks and stanchions were rebuilt to Colin Archer’s original design.
Restoration of Tarpoon II
10-meter R Tarpon II was built at Anker & Jensen for the Olympic Games in 1912 for the Russian Aristocrat Leonid A. Nagornoff from St. Petersburg. When Nagornoff ordered the boat at Anker & Jensen in the autumn of 1911, he wanted a solid boat. Although the Vollen shipyard was known for its robust navy boats, it is said that Nagornoff himself increased the price by ten percent against Anker guaranteeing that the boat would last for at least 20 years. The boat has undergone a complete restoration including a new deck in Oregon pine.
The iron steamship “Turisten” sailed as a passenger and freight vessel on Halden canal in Norway from 1887 to 1963. She has undergone a total restoration and Maritime Center Fredrikstad has done extensive work replacing timberwork above deck.
Caulking the deck on “Dyrafjeld”
Dyrafjeld (ex. Anna Christina) is a 76 foot Norwegian Jakt built in 1889, currently owned by the city of Oslo and used as a sail training ship.
The entire deck has been recaulked and seamed in addition to work replacing parts of the rig, davits and bulwarks
New sternpost and planking on “Jærbuen II”
Jærbuen II was designed and built in 1898 at Colin Archers yard in Larvik. Maritime Center has replaced the sternpost and some of the planking. The planking is fastened with bronze nails and juniper trunnels below the waterline. Most of the 115 year old bronze nails were reused.